It may not seem so given the rain we’ve had recently but we are already behind aveerage in Lewiston for annual rainfall and thelong range forecast is for hotter and dryer than average for the next two months. So, it’s time to think about riding in theheat.–Corrie
June 22nd, 2009 by Noah · 11 Comments
Two years ago, I posted an article on beating the heat. It basically boiled down to the following advice which I still stand by.
- Wear sunscreen and eye protection
- Stay hydrated
- Replenish electrolytes and calories if needed
- Stay cool by packing ice in jersey pockets or riding through shady areas and sprinklers on the route
- Reduce sun exposure by shifting your work schedule or mixing your bike commute with transit if possible
- Finally, recognize the symptoms of heat-induced sickness. These are bad news!
- Sudden fatigue
- Blurred vision